Home  -  Hours  -  Book Chat Room  -  Calendar  -  Reference  -  Contact Us



Grafton Public Library Trustees Meeting Minutes

April 26, 2018


Attending:   Bob Donald, Lucia Corwin, Deborah Toomey, David Whittall, and librarian, Michelle Dufort

Bob Donald called the meeting to order at 7:11 pm.

The minutes of the March 22, 2018 were read and approved.

Librarian’s Report

The Vermont Department of Libraries will provide a $200 performance grant to the Library for this summer. Michelle reported that the paperwork to comply with the grant request is becoming more onerous and may, at some further time, prove to be more expensive in time spent than the amount of the grant.

With the automated library system from Library World now in full swing, Michelle continues to monitor volunteers to catch errors. She is pleased that all volunteers have been doing very well with few errors, the number of which are consistent with the manual circulation system.

Tech Soup is purchasing the software for our new computers. While installation takes longer, the cost savings as outlined in her monthly report are considerable. For example, Quickbooks 2018 cost $50 through Tech Soup, saving the Library approximately $240. Current files will remain on the older computers until Michelle is sure that the transfer of information is accurate and complete. She’s getting some assistance from Intuit tech support (manufacturer of Quickbooks) and if needed, support for computers by Ken in Springfield. He’s been previously very helpful and supportive of the Library’s technology needs.

The Board discussed the Volunteer Brunch. A tentative date of June 24th at 11:30 a.m. The Board’s support was unanimous in Michelle’s suggestion to also invite the Schemms.

The loss of power and the subsequent power surge destroyed the library telephone. It has since been replaced for a cost of $30.

Treasurer’s Report

With the Library through 80% of the year, we are right on budget. This is despite increased, but not unexpected, costs for heating and snow removal. No bill has yet been received for the Library’s portion of the Town of Grafton’s insurance.

Bob provided the TIAA report for this month. At present, Library funds look to be in good shape.


Building and Grounds

Bob Donald talked with Gus Plummer regarding the lights. Gus indicated that he would begin replacement of the lights soon, hopefully the week of April 29, 2018.  He will stop by to get the key for access to the Library.  The Circulation Desk Committee has received electronic photos from the Vermont Correctional Industries Wood Shop (VCI). While the construction looked good, the style was a bit too modern for our library.  Deborah will contact Mike LaCoss to ask that he visit, provide wood samples, and measure and estimate the costs of the circulation desk we’d like to see. Bob indicated that if and when Mr. LaCoss visits, he’d like to be included.

The next meeting of the Board will be Thursday, May 24th at 7 p.m. Bob will be away and the meeting should proceed regardless because of planning for the Volunteer Brunch in June. Bob agreed to provide his delicious quiche once again.

The meeting adjoined at 7:55 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,


Deborah Toomey, Secretary