Grafton Public Library Board
August 15, 2019
Present: Michelle Dufort, Mary Beth Culver, Deborah Toomey, David Whittall, Patrick Spurlock
Meeting called to order at 6:30
June Meeting Minutes were reviewed and approved
Special Meeting Minutes of August 1, 2019 were reviewed and approved as amended with the addition of Craig’s last name, Ruggless.
Reviewed the proposed budget for 2019-2020
· In general, the budget was developed being conservative with income estimates and estimating high on expenses using the last three years for reference.
· Most of the adjustments were made to more accurately reflect actual expenses.
· Computers, software, & databases: We recently updated the laptops which should be sufficient for the year. We may need to anticipate replacing the computer and laptops next year.
· E-books: We currently have a very basic system. It is meeting current needs, but if usage increases we may need to consider improved access.
· Grafton Community fund: There are no current needs appropriate for the Grafton Fund.
· We may want to consider requesting an increase in town funding
· The current copier is not working well and needs replacement. Furniture & fixtures line should be adjusted to reflect the anticipated purchase.
· Our current Comcast service is actual cable based, not fiber optic. Comcast indicated that when the cable goes we’ll need to upgrade.
· Grounds should reflect the anticipated cost of tree limb removal
· The increase in snow removal reflects the changes in service for the coming winter.
· Other services include septic & extinguisher inspection.
· The current weatherization efforts are starting to need upgrades and or replacement. (Deborah will assess the viability of assistance from Button-up VT.)
· Board Members should review the budget in anticipation of a vote at the September Meeting.
Reviewed written report:
Buildings & grounds:
· The water was tested and we are awaiting the results. The septic is scheduled for pumping.
· Michelle is still trying to get estimates for removing tree limbs that are currently rubbing on the roof as well as those at risk to rub on the roof.
· Adult groups are going well and the raffles have been popular.
· Café Loco, The Hungry Diner, and Heritage Deli have all donated raffle items.
· The collaboration with the elementary school went very well and they would like to do it again next year. The library doubled the number of children who completed reading records.
· Summer Encore program went well
· The auditor is scheduled to be here 9/10/19. Michelle has the necessary documentation organized.
· The library website has been updated
· Michelle is registered to attend several conferences & workshops. The transportation line should be increased to reflect transportation costs.
· There are Trustee training opportunities available.
· The building use form needs to be updated to include grounds.
· Barbara Friedman will be here in September.
· We should anticipate the appeal letter going out in October.
Meeting adjourned at 7:40
Next Meeting: The fourth Thursday of the month, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 6:30pm.
Mary Beth Culver