Home-Hours-Book Chat Room -Calendar-Reference-Contact Us



Grafton Public Library Trustees Meeting Minutes

February 22, 2018


Attending:Bob Donald, Lucia Corwin, Andrea Dunmire, Deborah Toomey, David Whittall, and librarian, Michelle Dufort

Bob Donald called the meeting to order at 7:08 pm.

Public comment:No public in attendance.

The minutes of the January 18, 2018 were amended to reflect the correct date. They were then read and approved.

Librarianís Report

Michelle demonstrated the new automated library system to the board. She reviewed the catalog, circulation features and discussed her plans for training the volunteer staff. The Board was pleased with the accessibility of the new system. Congratulations Michelle! This process took a great deal of time and effort, but will reap rewards now and into the future. The Board is pleased with your selection of Library World.

Treasurerís Report

With the Library through 64% of the year, we are right on budget.

With Town Meeting approaching, Bob indicated that he would attend and speak to any questions on the Select Board Budget that includes an increase in library funding. Deborah and David will attend the Pre-Town Meeting that will take place at the Grafton School. Of note, the Town taxes do not cover the cost of the building insurance (despite being a municipal library), snow removal, or grounds upkeep. The Library had to pay the cost of having two diseased trees removed from the lawn this past year.

Building and Grounds

The Library has received a bid from Gus Plummer for replacing our old fluorescent ballast tube lights with digital lights. The bid was a bit confusing since he will be renovating 11 lights but indicated heíd replace with 18 lights. Board members Bob and Deborah will contact Steve Copping and Clarke & Ulitsch respectively to obtain additional bids.

The issue of the shades for the downstairs room used for movies, etc. has been tabled. The Board felt it was not an appropriate time to contact Galen Pinkham with his wife Sandy so ill.

The Library will keep the other white cabinet upstairs. It has been unusable because itís locked and the key has been lost. Michelle will ask Stan Mack to drill out the old lock so the cabinet may be used once again.

Painting the Library was discussed and Michelle recommended that prior to painting, the Board investigate and purchase a new circulation desk. The current desk is old and will not function well with the new automated system. Deborah volunteered to head an investigative committee and Lucia and David will all meet on Wednesday, February 28th at 10 a.m. at the Library. The committee has also been charged with recommending new chairs to accompany the circulation desk.

New Business

No Board members are up for re-election this year. Bob suggested that current members brainstorm potential new Board members for 2019 when several seats will be open.

Board members are asked to suggest someone who could remove the current circulation desk when a new desk is selected.

The next meeting of the Board will be Thursday, March 22 at 7 p.m.

The meeting adjoined at 8:00 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,


Deborah Toomey, Secretary