Home  -  Hours  -  Book Chat Room  -  Calendar  -  Reference  -  Contact Us



Grafton Public Library Trustees Meeting Minutes

January 21, 2016, 6:30 pm


Attending:  Bob Donald, Andrea Dunmire, Christopher Schemm, Deborah Toomey, librarian Michelle Dufort.

Public Comment: David Whittall is attending the meeting because he has put in his application to run for the Library Board. Christopher Schemm did not re-apply and the Board urged Christopher to continue to come to Board meetings as historian and member emeritus. His knowledge has proven invaluable.

Bob Donald brought the meeting to order at 6:45 p.m. The minutes from December 17, 2015 were approved.

Librarian’s Report

The monthly Friday after school program has been packed. Michelle has limited the number of participants to 10 but has been flexible. As many as 15 children (K-5) have attended with her permission and even at that, she has to turn some children away. She is unable to handle any more than 15 children do to space limitations. The Board supports her decision not to increase the number of attendees. There will be no program in February because of school holidays.

The Support for People Experiencing loss was attended by eight people. This program is sponsored by the Library and Brattleboro Area Hospice and meets monthly.

Michelle has begun a new book discussion group which will first meet Tuesday, January 26th. Thirteen people are registered to discuss survival stories. The following month, animal stories will be the theme. The idea behind this is making connections with other people. It is hoped that selecting themes with people reporting on the books they have read will boost circulation. A themed discussion also will not require the purchase of multiple copies of the same book that would become excess to the Library’s need.

Mary Feder is welcomed as the Library’s newest volunteer.

Michelle is contacting all volunteers to host a meeting for them on February 3rd. The agenda will include confidentiality of library records and safety issues. Under review will be where the first aid kit is housed, the location of the flashlight, and what procedures to follow if the volunteer should encounter a situation where they feel unsafe.  Michelle suggests that the Board develop a safety policy. She will make some suggestions as to what the Board might want to include.

Automation is ongoing, but proceeding quickly now that all the non-fiction have been barcoded and entered.

Treasurer’s Report

The library budget is right on schedule and copies of the statement were distributed to the Board.

The Library’s funds lost money recently due to the Market’s volatility and decline. However, we are still doing okay.

The Annual Appeal has been successful with a net of $6,734, close to the amount of $7,500 that had been budgeted. Donations are still trickling in and it is anticipated that we will meet our goal.

Building and Grounds

Melvin Rice will take down the maple and the pine trees on the Library lawn. He asked whether anyone in need in Grafton would welcome the maple wood. Michelle and Deborah located someone who would be pleased to have it. It was nice that he thought of this and will deliver.


Lucia Corwin was unable to attend the Board meeting so we are unsure of the status of the exterior painting at this time. Michelle will contact both the painter and Mr. Rice to obtain the required insurance documents prior to the work being done.


The entry door is sticking on the floor. This happens in the winter and needs to be investigated. Under the area is a crawl space and this may contribute to the issue.


A new circulation desk was discussed. The current one is too tall and too small to hold the laptop needed for book check out. Michelle has some concerns about replacing the desk and has some things that she’d like included when changes are made. The Board suggested that she compile a list of her wants and concerns. Andrea indicated that John Turner might be interested in taking a look and making suggestions.


The replacement of the worn rug in the circulation and walk-in areas was discussed.


Other Business


A memorial for Jerry Stevens needs to be decided upon. The Board is waiting for the Stevens family to decide what they would like and it was suggested that they be contacted. The Board is ready to act and will do so once informed of the family’s wishes.


The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,



Deborah Toomey